Industry Livestock Researcher
Industry researchers create various projects and perform research based on the needs and current requests for more or better information on particular aspects of livestock production to increase efficiency, safety, proficiency and level of income for producers.
- Develop new project idea into proposal.
- Coordinate the development and writing of research proposals and securing new funds
- Plan and conduct research experiments
- Coordinate reporting to the organization on research contents and finances and ensure all reporting requirements are met.
- Publishing the results of research in high quality peer-reviewed international journals
- Collaborate with different people in beef industry to make recommendations for the improvement of beef industry.
- Propose new idea into organization strategy.
- Attend conference or meeting with feedlot managers or industry people.
Generally work in office or laboratory environments, though sometimes they must venture out into the field such as farm or feedlot.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Superior research skills
- Strong analytical abilities and problem solving skills
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Public speaking skill
- Broad knowledge of the beef industry
- Able to work independently and with team
- Critical/technical thinking
- Excellent time management/organizational skills
Education and Training:
A minimum of Bachelor of Science degree in agriculture or animal science or a related discipline is mandatory. MSc or doctoral degree is usually preferred. Certain certifications or licensing may be required. Experience in the field is an asset.