Livestock Business Manager – Auction Markets, Feedlots, etc.
- Manage staff including scheduling, safety, daily tasks and answering to complaints by employees.
- Oversee nutrition and feed as well as health care protocols of cattle.
- Operate all equipment as necessary, from overseeing or working with cleaning, maintenance, stocking and operating.
- Supervise and/or participate in loading and unloading of goods or animals, processing or treating, and pen-checking cattle.
- Fill out paperwork and data entry on computers as necessary.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Ability to be hands-on and work in all aspects of feedlot, auction market, or farm operations.
- Understanding of business administration and economics.
- Strong team player and leadership skills with a great work ethic in accomplishing tasks and setting and meeting team goals.
- Capability of working in a fast-paced environment while maintaining a positive and collected attitude.
- Knowledge of all aspects of livestock production and marketing, cattle handling, nutrition, health and safety protocols.
- Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills a requirement.
Education and Training:
Depending on the size and scope of the operation, a university degree in business administration or agri-business may be required, and a background in livestock production is always an asset. For some companies a college diploma or certification in marketing, animal science or agriculture, including cattle production, may be required. Many feedlots and auction markets request the candidate have a minimum of 2 years of previous management experience with a background in livestock production.