Livestock nutrition sales representatives solicit sales of animal feeds to producers and consult with producers on concerns of animal nutrition of their livestock.
- Develop new sales volume for specific volume, and servicing existing accounts with feed mills, feed dealers and distributors.
- Regularly service clients to grow and maintain strong, long-term relationships
- Engage and solicit with producers to help understand their businesses and management criteria
- Expand knowledge of animal agriculture industry with continued learning and training opportunities
- Consult with clients on problems and issues they may have on animal nutrition, and come up with solutions to address those problems
- Prospect within the livestock and feed sector to grow client base and business accounts
Skills and Qualifications:
- Prior sales experience working with existing client base
- Enthusiastic, self-motivated, friendly and laid-back personality
- Excellent communications and organizational skills, with the passion and ability to build long-term sales and service relationships with customers, as well as grow new business relationships
- Capable of learning quickly and grasp technical and scientific concepts, relaying this information to customers.
- Comfortable working independently and with a team environment, also a driven and independent sales professional
- Must have background in animal nutrition (some feed companies wish a candidate to specialize in either ruminant or monogastric [poultry, hog, equine] nutrition depending on client base)
- Knowledge and experience in the Canadian livestock industry and a strong agricultural background is required
- Have Class 5 driver’s license, and willingness to travel throughout territory.
Some office work, but also lots of travelling and visiting farms and ranches, often will need mobile office to conduct sales and some consultation work. Outdoors, driving in various road conditions, and possibly even seeing animals and feed being fed on the farm itself.
Education and Training:
Minimum of post-secondary education in animal science, animal nutrition/health, agribusiness, or related fields. A Certified Sales Professional designation from CPSA creates opportunities for higher earnings.
Salary and Wages:
Average wage: $70,200 per annum (varies with sales volume)
Animal Feed Wholesale – for more information on salary expectations, visit www.payscale.com.
Sales Associate – for more information on salary expectations, visit www.payscale.com.
Outside Sales Representative – for more information on salary expectations, visit www.payscale.com.
Regional Sales Manager – for more information on salary expectations, visit www.payscale.com.