Feed mill production workers are responsible for the operation of milling and processing machinery.
- Operation of milling and processing equipment including the hammer mill, pellet mill, rolling and grinding, and mixing and blending equipment, and packaging equipment in production of feed products
- Observe gauges, computer data and video monitors to ensure specified production systems are working properly
- Check products and packages for defects, as well as to ensure conformance to standards of the company
- Handle bagged products, and assist in shipping and receiving of feeds and processed grains
- Maintain production information records and warehouse inventory, as well as completion of OSHA/HACCP records
- Report to the feed mill production supervisor for production and machinery break-downs, power failures, etc.
- Maintain and repair equipment as required
- Manually weigh and prepare minerals, vitamins and medications for different types of livestock
- Operate forklifts, and load and drive trucks.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Experience in manufacturing (1 to 2 years) and feed mill or agricultural production an asset
- Excellent capacity to record production information usually several times daily
- Good mechanical aptitude and ability to work at elevated heights required
- Physically capable of repeatedly lifting 25 kg, as well as standing for extended periods and have no dust allergies.
- Must be able to work on rotating shifts–most mills run 24 hours, 7 days a week.
- Able to perform repetitive tasks, with excellent manual dexterity and high attention to detail
- Capable of understanding and following oral and written instructions
- Able to work quickly and steadily and with little supervision
All feed mills have odours and are hot, dusty and noisy, as well as dangerous. Steel-toed safety boots or shoes are mandatory.
Education and Training:
Feed mills often will train workers on the job, however a high-school diploma (or Grade 12 education) is an asset. Forklift training is necessary, and often offered through the company.
Salary and Wages:
Average hours worked: 40.4 hours per week
Average wage: $19.10 per hour
Average salary (Alberta): $39,868.00 per annum
Warehouse Worker – for more information on salary expectations, visit www.payscale.com.