Feed mill managers are responsible for overseeing feed mill production workers and ensuring efficient machinery operation and sufficient production of feeds.
- Manage mill and feed department as well as its operations and employees in order to optimize profitability and efficiency. Also assists in maintaining yard commodity status.
- Maximize intakes of cattle by utilizing feedlot’s or company’s feed bunk management program.
- Plan and anticipate capital expenditures for milling and feeding equipment; prepare and maintain annual budgets.
- Ensure performance of quality control procedures on incoming and finished mill products.
- Ensure and monitor adequate inventory of processed grain.
- Manage, lead, train and develops all feed and mill personnel.
- Work closely with consultants and nutritionists to optimize cattle performance.
- Assure compliance with all FDA/CFIA regulations regarding medicated feed and micro-ingredients.
- Ensure compliance with all OSHA, ISO, HACCP, animal welfare and other safety procedures, rules and regulations.
- Develop and maintain emergency back-up procedures for potential occurrence of mill outages (e.g. equipment breakdowns, power outages, etc.).
- Construct and implement a preventative maintenance schedule, ensuring excellent housekeeping with monitoring equipment wear and throughput.
- Ensure good commodity inventories and production records.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Good understanding of OSHA/HACCP guidelines required.
- Excellent oral and written communication and computer skills required, as well as great leadership skills.
- Prior experience in working with milling and processing equipment as well as adequate mechanical aptitude.
- Knowledge in animal health and nutrition an asset.
Education and Training:
Minimum high school diploma, however college degree in mechanics and milling/processing or equivalent required.
For more information on salary expectations, visit www.payscale.com.