Livestock order buyers sell, buy, and select livestock for individual ranchers and large companies.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Good organizational skills and a strong aptitude for math (percentages, multiplication, cost averaging, etc.)
- Strong people skills, and comfortable approaching strangers and networking
- High level of risk tolerance
- Understanding of market conditions and trends
- Ability to negotiate prices with buyers and sellers based on up-to-date market information
- Identifying livestock acquisition opportunities and secure budgeted throughput levels
- Be able to follow government and organizational guidelines
- Good verbal and written communication skills
Education and Training:
High school diploma is required, and a college degree in Animal Science is preferable but not a requirement. A strong grasp of basic math skills and an understanding of sales and marketing are assets. On the job training is provided by most companies.