- Advertise the date, time and location of auctions
- Conduct sales by describing types goods or animals being sold and requesting bids.
- Point out any particularly desirable qualities that an individual animal may have, and mention general information like pedigree, breed, age, health status, and breeder.
- Chant the asking price, raising the bids in regular increments and accept bids from interested parties.
- Spot bids, either directly from the crowd or through signals from a ringman.
- Determine when an animal can sold and conclude the bidding.
- Disburse monies ethically.
Work in livestock auction marts, or outdoors at various farms.
Education and Qualifications:
Must have a working knowledge of the usefulness and current market values of the types of merchandise they are to sell.
Setting up and maintaining a successful auction business requires business, appraisal and marketing skills as well as skill in bid calling. Training or experience in business administration can be an asset.
Salary and Wages:
Average wage: $29.85 per hour
Average salary (Alberta): $61,975.00 per annum