- Provide expert advice and technical expertise in the areas of cattle health and welfare.
- Ensure staffs, organization’s stakeholders, and cattle producers have access to current and relevant beef production practices and environmental stewardship.
- Assist in cattle and beef research.
- Review research proposals and write fact sheets or extension articles.
- Work with researchers and/or governments to better coordinate and fund research activities
- Liaise with various organizations in beef industry on important issues regarding to beef production.
- Oversee the administration of research projects, initiated to address knowledge gaps related to the beef industry.
- Provide staff support to the Research Committee and the Animal Health and Welfare Working Group.
- Speak to media regarding to organization’s perspective on a technical issue.
- Communicate with people outside the organization, representing the organization to customers, the public, government, and other external sources.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Superior research skills
- Strong analytical abilities
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Public speaking skills
- Broad knowledge of the beef industry
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Critical/technical thinking
Education and Training:
A Master’s degree in Agriculture, Animal Science or equivalent with related specialization plus considerable experience in the beef industry. Demonstrated experience in research and data collection is an asset.
Karin Schmid, Beef Production Specialist in Alberta Beef Producer (ABP) organization