Agricultural market analysts gather information and develop marketing policies and strategies for producers.
- Understand how the agricultural markets work and attempt to predict how they will change in the future.
- Keep track of historical market data as that is often the best way to project future market trends.
- Be aware of information that affects the market, such as supply, demand, and world trading.
- Work together with other market analysts to develop hedging strategies.
- Supply agricultural commodity market commentaries to an array of buyers of company’s services.
- Write magazine articles about policies and strategies.
- Purchase ingredients for livestock companies that leverages volume.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Knowledge of commodity markets.
- Ability to develop market knowledge.
- Ability to communicate complex situations, and interpret graphs and charts
- Strong oral and written communication skills required
- Strong working knowledge in statistical analysis
Work is accomplished mostly in offices. Travel may be required to visit with producers and bankers.
Education and Training:
MSc or MBA in Ag Economics, Mathematics or related degree is required.
Minimum of 4 years of relevant experience in two or more of the following:
- Market research or analysis
- Future trading
- Agricultural risk management
- Agricultural market decision making
- Cash grain trading
Salary and Wages:
Average wage: Range $34.24 to $45.38 per hour
Average salary (Alberta): $77,968.00 per annum