To elicit interest in sales on farm machinery or livestock handling equipment, from parts to new equipment to agricultural or construction businesses.
- Promote sales to existing clients as well as identify and solicit potential clients.
- Assess a client’s needs and resources and recommend the appropriate goods or services.
- Estimate costs of installations and maintenance of equipment or service.
- Prepare and administer sales contracts, utilizing sales/marketing software packages and conducting sales transactions through Internet-based electronic commerce.
- Consult with clients after sale to provide ongoing support, and resolve product and service-related problems and complaints.
- Train customers’ staff in the operation and maintenance of equipment.
Skills and Qualifications
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including interpersonal skills and ability to work with others.
- Strong mechanical and operational knowledge with all types of farm equipment or livestock handling equipment.
- Ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced environment and meet tight deadlines.
- Great problem solving and decision-making skills, utilizing critical thinking and job-planning and organizing strategies.
- Capacity to be open to continuous learning and find necessary information for clients’ requests.
- Average aptitude in business and clerical work and an interest and ability in salesmanship is required.
- Pleasant personality and be able to work with people are strongly required.
Work is predominantly in a rural community setting working indoors at the sales counter, but also outdoors with on-site customer service. Standing for long periods, walking, bending, crouching and kneeling are primary physical capabilities expected of a sales associate.
Education and Qualifications
Completion of high school. Some college/CEGEP/vocational or technical training. No other credentials (certificates, memberships, courses, licenses, etc.) are required, however may be an asset.